Swim Meets

Swim meets have begun. We have them almost every Tues. and Thurs. evening through June. They start around 5:30 and we don't usually finish until close to 10. Here's how they work. We get there in time for the kids to warm up with the team and swim a few laps. Meanwhile I setup our chairs, towels, dinner etc.. Then we have to find the roster to see which events each of the kids are in. Then we have to write all of their events on their arms- including event #, lane # and heat #. Then we have to find their lane slips (they hand these in just before the race so that their times can be recorded). Then we usually just sit and either eat or hang out unless one of them is racing in a relay. If they are in a relay they have to find their relay team and get ready because those are first. Most of the evening is just hanging out but we have to listen for what event is coming up and they have to line up at the clerk of course so they will be ready when their event comes. We only missed one race at our first meet because I was helping Hannah get to where she needed to be and Rachel was to swim right after her and she didn't realize where she was supposed to be. After that we got it figured it out but it is a bit crazy with three kids involved trying to get them all to where they are supposed to be at the right time. Richard worked as a time keeper at two or three meets so that meant I was all on my own trying to keep track of everyone. Sarah is notorious for disappearing at meets. She thinks she owns the place and knows her way around everywhere (even pools we've never been to before). When ever we go to the bathroom or concession stand people that we don't know are always saying hi to her- I guess she's busy making friends all evening. The first half of the season got pretty cold once the sun went down. That meant extra towels and clothes and hot chocolate! I really enjoy cheering on our kids as they race. I'm amazed at how well they all are doing. As hectic as it all is I am really enjoying the meets.

No comments: