Tetherball



I decided that the kids needed something to play with outside so I made them a tetherball pole. We needed new tires on our car so I asked if I could keep one of the tires. I mixed up some cement and filled the tire and then stuck a fence post in it. I let it dry overnight and then attached the cap on the top with the ball. When I was rolling the tire from the garage to the backyard I had a pretty bad accident. The tire started getting away from me so I let go of it. I wasn't aware of where the pole was and it snapped up and hit me pretty hard on the side of the head. I knew instantly that it was bad. I went inside and layed down and then I realized that there was blood coming from my ear. I was pretty freaked out. After looking at it closer I found that the blood was coming from behind my ear (where the pole hit my glasses made a tear behind my ear). It hurt pretty bad and I couldn't see it very well. I was worried about internal damage as well (it hit me really hard). I called our neighbor who's husband is a pediatrician and he wasn't there but she told me to come over and she would look at it. I was pretty upset (I couldn't stop crying) so after looking at it she kept Sarah the rest of the day for me. I couldn't get a hold of Richard (he left his cell at home). I was supposed to meet Kim halfway between our houses so that Hannah could go down there for the weekend. She ended up coming up because she was so worried about me. She got here just a few minutes before Richard came home. Richard wanted me to go to urgent care but I didn't want to go if it was just a scratch behind the ear. I really didn't know what to do but finally a man from our ward (who is a surgeon) returned my call and told me to come over and he would take a look at it. I did and he told me there would be very little they could do for me at the hospital- because of where it was. He told me how to take care of it and he checked up on me for the next few weeks when we saw each other at church. This made me feel a lot better. I was finally able to calm down. The whole thing was rather traumatic. Since then everyone has enjoyed playing with it.


No comments: